- slide 1 of 3
What is Homeopathy?
Homeopathy is a form of alternative medicine in which its remedies consist of diluted substances from plants, minerals and animals, given mainly in tablet or droplet form. These highly diluted substances are believed to trigger the body’s natural system of healing. This method of healing is based on the principle of “like cures like” – meaning, a substance that causes symptoms in a healthy person is used as the basis of the cure. For example, a remedy that might be used to cure a person suffering from insomnia would contain coffee. It may sound counter-intuitive, but there are those who believe and claim that these remedies work.
- slide 2 of 3
What are the Benefits?
Homeopathic remedies are believed by its practitioners to provide fast and lasting cures for depression. A homeopath uses a holistic approach and looks at you as an individual. They will then prescribe a cure based on your personality and all the symptoms you present.
The following are some examples of how homeopathic remedies for depression: -
- Are You a Type A Personality? People who have type A personalities are often highly ambitious and perfectionists who become depressed when they feel that their performance is not up to their high standards or that they have begun to perform poorly. These people often worry about material security, which sometimes can border on despair. Aurum metallicum is believed to alleviate symptoms of depression in Type A people because aurum is gold and in astrology the metal gold is placed under reign of the sun. The sun symbolizes our core, our spirit, our individuality, our deepest self. From an astrological perspective, individuals with balanced aurum demonstrate characteristics such as courage, radiance, vitality, and self-trust. People who lack aurum are believed to exhibit personality traits such as self-criticism and self-condemnation which can lead to deep bouts of depression. Therefore aurum metallicum is prescribed with the belief that it will help balance the aurum in depressed patients thus alleviating these symptoms.
- Is your Depression Caused by Grief and Loss? Sometimes people become depressed because of a traumatic event like a divorce, a death or as a result of mental or physical abuse. The symptoms include frequent bouts of crying, or a feeling of mental dullness and forgetfulness. People exhibiting these symptoms may benefit from ignatia or causticum. Causticum is a potassium based substance that when ingested is believed to alleviate symptoms of depression caused by grief and loss. The dosage taken is often determined by the homeopaths who often prefer to prepare this remedy the old-fashioned way by diluting the ingredients in water or alcohol, and then shake the contents vigorously 10 times. Modern homeopaths offer tablets that dissolve under the tongue
- Postnatal and Menopausal Depression: Frequently obsessed with the appearance of their body, these people think they are unattractive. They have little sexual energy and work hard to forget emotional problems. Often depressed about their financial situation as well they are in a dark mood from the moment they open their eyes in the morning. For those who exhibit these symptoms sepia might be a remedy. Sepia is made from cuttlefish ink and is believed to help with postnatal and menopausal depression symptoms especially when accompanied by a sagging feeling in the pelvic area. The belief is that because the mollusc is independent, and hides in a cloud of dark ink when in danger, homeopathic sepia can treat people who surround themselves with a dark emotional cloud of negative temper. This remedy is available in alcohol-based tinctures and also as sweetened pellets.
NB: Although these homeopathic remedies for depression appear encouraging, this article is for information purposes only and should not replace sound medical advice. You should still consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist about any health problems and before taking any supplements/making changes to prescribed medications.
- slide 3 of 3
- The Society of Homeopaths http://www.homeopathy-soh.org/about-homeopathy/
- Homeopathic Remedies for depression https://www.truestarhealth.com/Notes/2218006.html
- Aurum Metallicum http://www.realmagick.com/6883/aurum-metallicum-gold/