Foods That Enhance Sleep
Foods high in tryptophan are good sleep aids. Before going to bed, try one or more of the following foods to help you sleep. The common denominator in these foods is that they contain tryptophan which has been proven to aid sleep:
- Sesame seeds
- Silken Tofu
Avoid these foods before bedtime as they have been shown to disrupt sleep patterns:
Teas & Herbs
Another alternative to prescription sleep aids are teas made from these herbs which have shown to be beneficial as a natural sleep aid
- Valerian root (which comes in extract or capsule forms)
- Passionflower (brew with chamomile)
Effective Vitamin Supplements
n addition to healthy foods, there are a number of nutritional supplements that can also help cure sleeplessness. Calcium has long been heralded as a natural sleep aid. Remember the advice to drink a warm cup of milk to get better sleep? You can get more effective results by taking 1000 mg of Calcium lactate, or 1500-2000 mg calcium chelate. If taking calcium chelate, it’s recommended to take it in divided doses.
Try 1000 mg of Magnesium over prescription sleep aids. These supplements are best taken after meals and at bedtime
Also helpful to get better sleep is vitamin B complex plus extra pantothenic acid; Inositol, and B6. Always follow the label recommendations.
Try L-theanine amino acid
This is a wonderful sleep aid! While L-theanine does not induce sleep it does quiet the “busy mind” and does induce alpha wave activity in the brain. (It is one of the ingredients listed in Melissa, an all natural sleep aid.) This free form amino acid, derived from green tea, calms and relaxes without side effects. I’ve taken it in chewable form as Suntheanine and have had good success in my quest to get better sleep.
Other considerations to get better sleep
- Another cause of insomnia could include copper and iron deficiencies in women. A hair analysis should be done to determine if such deficiencies are present.
- Fresh air, melatonin, relaxing with a book, soothing music, and a regular schedule are also effective natural sleeps aids.
- Yoga and other relaxation techniques help clear the mind and reduce stress, preparing the body for rest.
- Be sure to visit your doctor to rule out any underlying physical condition that might prevent you from sleeping.
For more information about sleep aids and how to get better sleep, visit the links below.
Please read this disclaimer regarding the information you have just read.