Healthy Lunches without Microwaving
Sometimes lunch can be so boring. There are not too many options and if you are limited to not being able to microwave then usually leftovers are out of the question. The obvious choice for most that do not have access to a microwave at lunchtime would be a sandwich. But if you are bored of eating just a turkey or ham sandwich every day try to mix it up a little. Here are some ideas to spice up your sandwiches.
- Change the type of bread
- Try wraps, flat breads, or English muffins to add a new feel to your sandwich
- Stuff it
- Stuff your sandwich with various vegetables like cucumbers, lettuce, tomato, onions, shredded carrots to add another layer to your sandwich and give a little crunch.
- Layer it
- Layer your sandwich with different meats and cheeses, but pay attention to your portions so you don’t go overboard.
- Spread it
- Use different spreads or condiments on your breads like honey mustard, hummus, low fat dressing to add a little extra flavor.
Another option is a salad, but sometimes salads can be somewhat boring. Spice it up by giving your salad a theme.
- beans, corn, salsa, and avocados
- green apples, walnuts, grapes
- mandarin oranges, toasted sesame seeds, slivered almonds
- deli turkey or ham, low fat cheese
Limit high fat add-ins to your salad like mayonnaise based ingredients, fried noodles or croutons so not to drive up the calorie content of your meal.
Other options for healthy lunches without microwaving are:
- Cold soups like gazpacho
- Pasta salads made with whole wheat pasta, raw vegetables and chunks of grilled chicken or tuna flakes
- Bento Boxes filled with raw vegetables and hummus, whole wheat crackers and deli meat or cheese cubes, or fruit and nuts
- Peanut Butter and Jelly
- Try different nut butters like almond or cashew and different jelly flavors to make traditional peanut butter and jelly a little more exciting
- Peanut butter and Banana sandwich
- Spread some natural peanut butter on your favorite whole grain bread then slice up a banana on top for a delicious treat. Have it with a Greek yogurt and you have a great healthy meal without microwaving.
- Fruit and Cottage cheese platter
- Cut up some of your favorite fruits and mix with cottage cheese and eat with Wasa crackers for added crunch
A Message From Your RD
It is easy to make healthy lunches without microwaving and it does not have to be boring. Spice it up a little by adding in a variety of vegetables and fruits to give your meals another healthy dimension. Focus on low fat, low sugar options so your choices do not pack a lot of extra calories. And always remember to balance your meals.
This information is based on my education and experience working at SHS Nutrition, LLC in Piscataway, NJ.
The Food Network www.foodnetwork.com