- slide 1 of 4
Everyone would like their waistlines to look smaller. The only way you can truly achieve a smaller waist is to exercise. Include this list of the best exercises to trim your waistline and perform them three to four times a day to achieve that goal.
- slide 2 of 4
Top Exercises For Your Waist
The best exercises to reduce the size of your waist is to include forward flexion, side flexion, and rotational exercises. Forward flexion exercises help to train the torso and should be done three times a week. Side flexion exercises help to work the sides of your abdominals (the obliques). Rotational exercises work the entire trunk of the body and should be performed three times a week.
- Lie flat on a mat with your hands at the base of your neck. Keep your elbows wide with your shoulder blades drawn together. Your knees should be slightly bent into a tabletop position.
- Lift your head and shoulders off the floor. You should only be lifting the base of your shoulder blades off the floor.
- Draw in your lower abdominal muscles. Remember to inhale in the center and exhale as you twist at the waist. Bring your right elbow to your left knee as you extend your right leg away from your center. In one motion, do the same to the opposite side of your body.
- Continue switching your legs for eight repetitions. Remember to inhale and exhale.
- Using a mat, lie on your right side and your elbow at a 90-degree angle with your forearm under your shoulder. Your legs should be bent at a 90-degree angle, legs and hips stacked.
- Draw in your lower abdominals and tighten them as you raise your hip and thigh off the floor. Your body should create a straight line from crown to your feet.
- Keep your shoulders pressed down, away from your ears.
- Hold this position for six to eight seconds.
- Lower your leg but do not let your ankles touch.
- Repeat this movement for 10 to 12 repetitions, then switch sides.
Bridge With Leg Lift
- Lie on a mat with your knees bent. Your feet should be hip-width apart and your ankles directly under your knees. Arms will be at your side and your palms face down.
- Inhale. As you exhale, curl your spine up from your tailbone. Lift your hip bones toward the ceiling. The weight should be felt evenly on both shoulders. Your feet will keep your lifted hips level.
- While you are lifted, press one foot to the floor and lift the other foot one inch off the mat.
- Switch legs without making a rocking motion.
- Alternate your legs for four to six repetitions.
- Remember to inhale and exhale with the movements.
- slide 3 of 4
The list of the best exercises to trim the waistline does not only include abdominal movements. To achieve faster results, additional workouts need to be involved.
Cardiovascular exercise is important in trimming the waist. Not only will it reduce the size of your waist, but it gives you an all-over toned look. Run vigorously for five minutes, then slow your pace to catch your breath. Repeat this for 30 to 45 minutes, three times a week.
A healthy diet will also help you to trim the size of your waist. Include meals that are packed with protein and low in carbohydrates. Do not cut your carbohydrate intake completely. Carbohydrates are needed for energy. Be sure that you are eating healthy carbohydrates like whole- and multi-grain breads.
- slide 4 of 4
Fitness High: Abdominal Exercises: Best Abdominal Exercises To Tone and Flatten the Stomach - www.fitnesshigh.com/readarticles.php?id=271&title=Best Abdominal Exercises to Tone & Flatten Stomach
ABC of Fitness: Oblique Exercises for a Trim Waist - http://www.abc-of-fitness.com/info/oblique-exercises.asp