- slide 1 of 3
As you get older, your metabolism slows, making it harder to burn calories. Regular exercise and eating right will help, but there are more specific ways that have been proven effective in losing fat and gaining fitness. Things such as stepping up your workouts or changing the way you eat can go a long way.
- slide 2 of 3
10 Easy Ways to Burn More Fat
1. Step up your workouts: Exercise longer or harder than you usually do. Try adding some interval training or new type of exercise to your workout regime. Often your body can become used to your regular level of exercise and maintain weight, but not lose. Increasing your activity will help give your body that extra boost to keep losing weight.
2. Weight training: Weight training is one of the most effective ways to lose fat. It increases your resting metabolic rate as well as boosts your metabolism after exercising. Because a pound of muscle burns up to nine times the calories of a pound of fat, you burn more calories to lose weight, or fat, more quickly.
3. Eat more, smaller meals: Eating small healthy meals and snacks throughout the day helps keep your metabolism up. A good recommendation is five smaller meals, with no more than four hours between meals. Be sure not to skip breakfast. A study was done on successful weight loss that proved almost 80 percent of people who lose weight and keep it off eat a good breakfast. (Redbook)
4. Drink enough water: Drinking water raises your metabolic rate and burn more calories. A body that is well hydrated enables body functions to be more effective and energized.
5. Get enough protein: Making protein a part of every meal speeds up your metabolism. Try to have your protein intake between 20 and 35 percent of your diet. Protein is effective for weight loss because your digestive system uses more energy to break it down.
6. Lower stress: Stress itself has the potential to cause more abdominal fat since while stressed, hormones stimulate your appetite, slows your metabolism and causes fat storage inside your abdomen. Find ways to reduce stress in your life such as listening to music, doing yoga, going for a walk, etc.
7. Get enough sleep: Getting adequate sleep is important for your body’s insulin levels to be normal and for your body to function properly, which in turn burns calories more efficiently. You should get 6 to 8 hours of sleep each night.
8. Break up your workouts: Exercising in two shorter sessions will get your metabolism up an hour or two after each causing you to burn more calories and lose fat.
9. Begin a new sport or hobby: Sometimes cross-training and varying your workouts can really be effective for burning fat. It is a way to work new muscle groups and improve your metabolic rate as a result of your body working harder to get oxygen to new tissues.
10. Drink green tea: Green tea can boost your metabolism to burn more calories. In fact, green tea contains catechins, which increase the level of metabolism-speed brain chemical norepinephrine. Simply adding a cup of tea to your day could be the easiest way to lose fat and it sure is delicious with a little squeeze of lemon!