When it comes to getting in shape, women are often seen as having a disadvantage when compared to their male counterpart. It is true that men tend to have an easier time losing weight. The fact is men have more muscle, which allows them to burn more calories. Men’s bodies also respond faster to exercise, whereas a woman has to work harder with a smaller lung capacity. Women are also predisposed to store more fat since their bodies carry more estrogen, a hormone that keeps fat on a woman’s body to make it easier to get pregnant.
Having said that it is harder for women to lose weight just means you might have to step up your game a bit, but getting in shape is still very much a reality. Sticking to a fitness plan by eating right and exercising regularly, you will be able to adapt a new lifestyle and be on the road to a healthier version of yourself. Following are some tips to get you started and hopefully give you the motivation you need to succeed.
10 Best Women’s Fitness Tips
1. Attitude is everything: When it comes to sticking to a fitness plan, your attitude will make or break you. If you have the motivation to succeed, you are destined to reach your goals– and the other way around. If you need help finding the right attitude, write a list of specific reasons why you want to get in better shape. Post this where you can read it often to help you stay motivated to keep going.
2. Set fitness goals: Whether you want to lose weight, become more toned, train for an upcoming event such as a local race, etc.– write it down. Set the specifics for how you plan to do it, such as how often you will exercise and ways you will eat more healthily.
3. Regular, varied exercise: Start exercising at least 30 minutes, 3-5 times a week. Keep it interesting by incorporating a variety of forms of exercise. You may want to pick up a hobby or type of exercise you haven’t tried before. Set days and times to exercise to help it become a habit. Always remember to stretch before and after to help avoid becoming injured and drink plenty of water for hydration.
4. Healthy eating: Eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean meats. Eat a variety of foods to avoid becoming bored. Don’t deprive yourself completely when you’re craving something salty or sweet, but keep less healthy foods in moderation. Have healthy snacks on hand to keep yourself from grabbing unhealthy options when you’re famished.
Continue to learn six more tips…
Continuation on the 10 Best Women’s Fitness Tips
5. Cook meals at home: By making meals at home rather than eating out you will avoid a lot of extra calories from fat, salt, and sugar in the typical fast foods. Strive to find one new healthy meal to try a week to keep yourself motivated to eat right.
6. Increase daily activity: Find additional ways to stay active during your day. Go for a brisk walk at your lunch break, walk your kids to school, take the stairs instead of the elevator, park your car further in the parking so you have to walk further, etc.
7. Exercise with a friend: Many people exercise more often if they have someone to workout with. Meet up with a friend to walk or consider joining an exercise group/class. You may even want to join a gym to have a place to exercise around others.
8. Build an at-home gym: Having things around the home that you can use for exercise can make it easier on a colder day or when it’s otherwise easier to stay at home. These items could include an exercise mat, hand weights, jump rope, exercise ball, stair step, and workout videos. If at some point you are ready to invest more, you may want to get a treadmill, eliptical machine, weight lifting equipment, or Wii Fit/ other exercise gaming system.
9. Weigh at the same time of the day: Your weight can fluctuate about 2 lbs during the day so pick a time you will weigh yourself– usually first thing in the morning will be most accurate. Also, you may want to avoid weighing every day to avoid getting too obsessed with numbers. Sometimes when starting a new fitness routine it may take a while to start seeing weight loss, but that doesn’t mean you’re not becoming more toned or improving your health.
10. Don’t get discouraged: If you get off track, don’t throw in the towel and figure you’re done for. Get back to working on your fitness goals right away, with a renewed attitude. Realize it will take a little while to get used to your new lifestyle and for healthier choices to become a habit. Although, soon enough as you experience the benefits of being more fit and eating right, these will come with minimal effort. You will look better, feel better, and have more confidence– now that will really pay off!