If you want to make some changes to your body and get toned and healthier, weight lifting is a good tool to help you get there. It is important to include a good diet plan and some cardio in your routine; however, if the goal is to significantly change the way your body looks, weight training can serve to reshape your body in a way plain dieting and exercise alone cannot. Consider the following positive aspects of what a good weight training program can do for you:
- Increases your metabolism. You’ll burn additional calories throughout the day because muscle burns more calories than fat, and the more you have the more you’ll burn.
- Improves your muscular endurance.
- Improves your balance and your coordination.
- Improves your bone density.
If you are ready to start a weight training program into your daily activities, try the following weight training tips to get you started in the right direction.
Weight Training for the Beginner
- Begin with a warm-up-Sometimes weight training sessions can be strenuous, so always begin with a few minutes to warm the muscles with things like jogging in place, moving or swinging the body back and forth to a beat or doing lunges.
- Let the Workout Flow-Your workout should follow a smooth flowing pattern. Avoid sudden jerking movements or abrupt types of weight lifting moves which can be harmful to the muscles. Plan your workouts so you can have a balance and controlled exercise routine.
- Breathe-This step is very important because if you refrain from breathing your muscle can tense up. Muscles require oxygen at all times, especially when they are being stressed, as with weight lifting. Breathe more freely and deeply during your workouts because the body requires more oxygen at this time.
- Stay Focused-This tip sometimes is overlooked but is extremely important because things such as counting your repetitions and adhering to your schedule will help you keep track of your progress.
- Use Appropriate Weights-Workout with weights that will give you enough challenge so your muscles with be worked properly. Avoid using weights that are too heavy. If you cannot workout smoothly, then the weight is most likely too heavy. Try picking a weight that will tire your muscles after completing 12 repetitions. As you progress in your workout, you can add additional weight.
- Balance your Workouts-Try not to work a particular part of your body too often but have proper rotation so that your chest, back, shoulders, abdomen, arms and legs are given equal amounts of attention.
- Rest and Recover-The muscles need some type of rest period so they can develop and repair after a receiving stress from a workout. When a tough and strenuous workout session takes place, try taking a 48 hour break in order to give the muscles enough time to grow and recover.
Weight Lifting Nutritional Tips
- Begin each session fully hydrated and nourished.
- Have a healthy post workout snack and drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Have the proper balance between carbohydrates and proteins in meals.
- Have a pre-workout snack 30 minutes before each workout to ensure the body has enough energy in order to adhere to a strenuous exercise session.
- Some healthy snacks include:Granola and energy bars, peanut butter on bread, milk, soy milk, yogurt, or fresh fruit juice smoothies.
- Try to consume a post-workout meal that is high protein . Some good sources of protein include poultry, nuts, low fat dairy, seeds, and lean meat. Try to avoid red meat.
- Great sources of carbohydrates include vegetables, whole grains and fruits. In order to gain muscle mass, more calories should be consumed in order to bulk up without storing fat.
- Good meal combinations include: 4g of carbs, 1.2g to 1.73g of proteins, 1.2 to 1.5 grams of fat for each kg of body weight.
- To help properly raise calories, try the following tips. Eat frequent, small meals, and eat calorie dense foods such as beans, potatoes, whole grains, fish, turkey, fruit juice, fruit, eggs, rice and yams. Gradually increase calories until you meet your goals, and take in water after meals and avoid any liquids during meals.
Although weight training is a great way to change the body, you need to take the proper steps if you want to succeed. The weight training tips in this article will help you get started in the right direction. For those over 50 desiring to build muscle visit this link for some helpful information.