When a hot flash occurs at night while sleeping it is called a night sweat. One may wake up feeling anxious and drenched in sweat. Many women lose sleep, become irritable, and have a hard time concentrating throughout the day.
Herbal Remedies for Night Sweats - Sage
Sage has been used as a cure for night sweats and other menopausal symptoms for many years. It is a source of estrogen and also reduces secretions of the sweat glands thus preventing night sweats.
Before going to bed, drink a cup of sage tea:
- add 10 large, fresh sage leaves, or 1 teaspoon of dried sage, to a cup of hot water
- steep (covered) for about 10 minutes
- can add sugar or honey to sweeten.
For night sweats, you will want to drink the tea when it is cool.
Sage is easy to grow and dry. It is a perennial and will come back the next year. After 3-4 years, it should be replaced though. When harvesting, cut the plant, leaving about 4 inches above ground, and hang the stems to dry. It makes an inexpensive cure for night sweats and other menopausal symptoms.
Herbal Remedies for Night Sweats - Motherwort
Motherwort has also been used for centuries for female complaints. It works fast on the nerves that are set on edge and can help quiet one down quickly. It’s overall calming effect on the circulatory system helps in preventing night sweats.
Take 10-15 drops of Motherwort extract 3 times a day. You should notice a difference in 2-4 weeks. You can also keep a bottle at your bedside when you go to sleep and take 10-15 drops if a night sweat wakes you up.
These measures won’t actually be a cure for night sweats, but they can help provide relief when one occurs:
- sleep on sheets made of natural fiber which can disperse heat away from the body
- cover with a few layers of light cotton blankets so they can easily be added or removed
- if sleeping with a partner, use separate blankets (if using an electric blanket, have dual controls)
- keep a small battery operated fan next to your bedside.
Please read this disclaimer regarding the information contained within this article.