Homeopathic Remedies for Common Symptoms
Homeopathy is a system of treatment that uses dilutions of plant, mineral, and animal substances, as well as some chemicals to stimulate the body in a subtle way. The main thought behind homeopathy is “like cures like.” Perhaps more than anything else, the main difference is, unlike traditional medicine focusing on the specific cause of the disease, homeopathy focuses on the specific symptoms, as experienced by the individual.
Highly Individualized Treatments
The cold that your neighbor is infected with may be caused by the same virus but each of you will experience different symptoms. One may have a headache and a runny nose, feel exhausted and want to eat when not sleeping. The other may be clogged and congested, feel restless, unable to sleep and not have an appetite. This is where homeopathic medicine shines. When you take the right remedy, it will work quickly.
List of Homeopathic Remedies for Common Symptoms
Enhance the body’s ability to heal with these targeted remedies:
- Menstrual cramps – Sepia
- Poison ivy – Rhus toxicodendron
- Bad breath – Mercurius corrosivus
- Bruises, at the onset – Arnica
- Black and blue bruises or black eyes – Ledum
- Urinary tract infections – Cantharis
- Headache – Belladonna
- Insect bites – Apis mellifica
- Food poisoning – Arsenicum album
- Skin infections – Sulfur
- Warts and athlete’s foot – Thuja
- Acne – Natrum muriaticum
- Dry cough – Bryonia
- Burns – Cantharis
- Earache – Pulsatilla
- Sprains of wrist or ankle – Ruta graveolens
Because everyone in the family can use these remedies, homeopathy is very cost effective. The following remedies are for chronic disorders. Treat the symptoms that are specific to your case.
Taking Homeopathic Remedies
Homeopathic remedies come in pellet, tablet, and liquid form. You should avoid touching them with your hands, as this can decrease the effectiveness. Shake unto a clean spoon then place them directly in the mouth and let them dissolve rather than chewing them.
- These treatments work best when taken at least thirty minutes before or after eating. Strong flavors, like mints, toothpaste, caffeinated beverages, camphor products and strong perfume all decrease the effectiveness of a homeopathic treatment and should be avoided when using these treatments.
- Sudden symptoms like a headache or fever should be treated with a dose every fifteen minutes for one hour. If you see no change after four treatments, it is possibly the wrong remedy and you should choose another.
- For lingering problems like a sore throat or runny nose, take one dose every two hours. Once symptoms start to improve, continue at less frequent intervals such as one dose three times a day.
Homeopathy for Arthritis
Arthritis is an inflammatory disease that affects the joints. There are a variety of ways it can present itself and many stages as it progresses. Homeopathic remedies are excellent for relieving individual symptoms. A couple of possible remedies are Bryonia and Rhus toxicodendron, depending on the individual.
- If you feel worse after activity, even short walks, then use Bryonia. One dose of Bryonia 30X or 9c works to relieve irritability as well.
- Rhus toxicodendron will help if you feel better after movement. Take one dose of Rhus toxicodendron 30x or 9c as needed.
- A homeopathic practitioner can prescribe a constitutional remedy that is tailored to your specific symptoms.
Homeopathy for Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia is the term used for chronic muscle and joint pain. This persistent pain can take many forms as well. There can be certain distinct areas on the body that cause more pain than others, such as the muscles at the base of the skull, the upper back, mid-back, side of the elbow and the outer muscles of the buttocks. The two remedies listed above for arthritis are appropriate, since the symptoms can be similar.
- The first remedy to consider is Arnica. This relieves the “bruised” feeling. Fibromyalgia can make your body feel like it is one big bruise. Take one dose of Arnica 30x or 9c three times daily for up to three days. Arnica cream or gel is also available and can be used topically.
- Hypericum is for unbearabe prickly pain that radiates along nerve pathways, is worse with movement and worse when touched. This remedy is especially efficient for pain in the extremities.
Homeopathic Remedies for Rosacea
Rosacea is a disorder that primarily affects the skin in the central portion of the face. It often resembles acne, with redness, swelling, bumps and pimples, although it could also cause the small blood vessels under the skin to dilate and become visible. Treating the symptoms with homeopathy allows for targeted attack against this problem.
- Choose Arsenicum album for a dry, itching face.
- Nux vomica is for symptoms made worse by drinking coffee, tea or alcoholic beverages.
- Sulfur is good for inflamed skin that becomes worse after exposure to heat or a hot bath.
Homeopathic combinations can also be helpful for acute symptoms. Take as directed on product label.
This list of homeopathic remedies offer the first line of defense for common complaints. It is an ideal method of treating symptoms for people who cannot take over the counter drugs or herbs, because of other health problems or the prescriptions they take on a regular basis.
Weiner, Michael. The Complete Book of Homeopathy. Garden City Park, NY: Avery Publishing Group, 1989
Panos, Maisemond B., and J. Heimlich. Homeopathic Medicine at Home. Los Angeles, CA: J.P. Tarcher, 1982
Please read this disclaimer regarding the information contained within this article.