In a world of deadlines, appointments, and never-ending to-do lists, it is difficult to find time to search for delicious and healthful recipes. Add the restriction of sugar-free recipes, and the task to make satisfying meals becomes even more complicated. Here are a few easy, quick, and mouthwatering Splenda recipes for diabetics that will save you some much needed time. The key to making satisfying meals is to plan ahead. Not only will you save trips to the grocery store, you will also save money and time.
Breakfast: French Toast Strata
Warm French toast and a cup of steaming coffee, what could be better? This French toast is a combination of cinnamon raisin toast, apple and, of course, Splenda. This recipe serves 8-10 people.
- 1/3 cup Splenda
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp maple extract
- 8 slices cinnamon raisin bread
- 2 medium apples , peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1 tbsp Splenda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray an 8x8 inch nonstick square pan baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine Splenda, eggs, milk, and vanilla and maple extracts.
- Tear cinnamon raisin bread into small pieces.
- Toss bread and sliced apples with the egg mixture.
- Cut cream cheese into pieces and place on top of the mixture.
- Blend remaining 1 tbsp Splenda and cinnamon together and sprinkle over bread mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until lightly browned.
Lunch: Dijon Hickory BBQ Sauce
Lunch can often be a monotonous experience. This recipe for BBQ sauce made with Splenda, however, is guaranteed to spice up your day. Make the entire quantity of barbecue sauce, 4 cups in this case, store it in your fridge and use it throughout the week. Dijon Hickory BBQ sauce made with Splenda is a great way to add flavor to any one of your favorite chicken or meat dishes.
Ingredients: 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 3 (6oz.) cans Tomato Paste, divided
- 1 cup Splenda
- 3/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 3/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp liquid smoke, hickory flavored
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Tabasco
- Place oil in a large saucepan. Add onions and garlic and sauté over medium heat until translucent. This will take about 2-3 minutes.
- Mix the bouillon and water until dissolved. Add bouillon mixture and all remaining ingredients to the saucepan. Stir well using a wire whisk.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes to allow flavors to meld together. Stir frequently.
- Refrigerate overnight in a non-metallic container.
- Sauce is best if prepared a day before using. It keeps well, refrigerated, for about 1 week.
Snack: Tropical Fruit Salad
If you have experienced the mid-day munchies, you know that it is easy to reach over and grab a sugary energy bar or microwave some processed food product to satiate your taste buds. But why do that when you could have an amazing fruit salad made within minutes. This Tropical Fruit Salad made with Splenda will takes minutes to prepare, and every bite will transport you to a land of palm trees and warm breezes.
- 1 kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
- 1 banana, sliced
- 12 green seedless grapes
- 1 (10 oz.) can mandarin oranges, drained, reserve juice
- 1 red plum, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tsp Splenda
- 1 lime
- Prepare and mix all the fruit in a bowl.
- Measure 1/4 cup of the reserved Mandarin orange juice, squeeze in the juice of the lime, and stir in the splenda.
- Pour over the fruit, refrigerate 1 hour or until well chilled.
Dinner: Chicken Cacciatore
By the time dinner rolls around, you may be tired after a long day of work and are looking for something simple and easy to feed your family. This recipe for Chicken Cacciatore made with Splenda only takes 10 minutes to prepare. Take the time you saved by making this recipe and spend time doing something you love. This recipe serves 4-6.
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can chopped tomatoes, drained
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp Splenda
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 3 cups hot cooked noodles, rinsed and drained
- Slice chicken breasts into 32 pieces.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Sauté chicken, onion, and green pepper for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in drained tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Add Splenda, Italian seasoning, olives, and black pepper. Mix well to combine. Lower heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- For each serving, place 1/2 cup pasta on a plate and spoon ⅔ cup sauce over top.
Dessert: Moist Chocolate Cake
There is nothing better than a slice of chocolate cake to end your day. This recipe for chocolate cake use two types of Splenda, both regular Splenda and the brown sugar blend. Make this recipe for yourself or next time you have a party. Serves 8-10
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Splenda
- 1/2 cup Splenda, Brown Sugar Blend
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot strong black coffee
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C). Grease cake or Bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- Blend flour, Splenda, Splenda (Brown Sugar Blend), cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large mixing bowl.
- Combine buttermilk, oil, eggs, vanilla extract, and coffee in a small bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to buttermilk mixture, using an electric mixer on medium speed, mix until smooth (about 2 minutes).
- Pour batter into cake pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes, until an inserted toothpick in centre of cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes.