- slide 1 of 4
If you are experiencing stomach upset or discomfort, you may have a sour stomach. This is a common problem many people encounter when they have too much hydrochloric acid in their stoamch. Symptoms can include mild cramping, nausea and vomiting. Instead of taking a medication to relieve the problem, try a natural remedy for sour stomach.
- slide 2 of 4
- Drink a cup of ginger tea. It is an excellent herbal remedy for an upset stomach and can be used during pregnancy. To prepare a cup of ginger tea, pour 1 cup of boiling water over 3/4 teaspoon of ginger root (small, thin pieces), cover and steep for five minutes.
- Drink a cup of chamomile tea. To prepare a cup of chamomile tea, pour 1 cup of boiling water over 1 teaspoon of dried chamomile flowers, cover and steep for 5-10 minutes.
- Drink a cup of peppermint tea. To prepare a cup of peppermint tea, pour 1 cup of boiling water over 2 tablespoons of dried peppermint leaves, cover and steep for 10 minutes.
- Meadowsweet, fennel, licorice and oregano teas can also soothe a sour stomach.
- Add a teaspoon of baking soda into a glass of water, stir and drink.
- Drink a glass of hot water with freshly squeezed lemon juice. This remedy is especially helpful before eating because it helps neutralize excess acid.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to a glass of cool water, mix and drink quickly.
- Drink a glass of aloe vera juice to soothe an upset stomach.
- Chew on a few cardamom seeds, caraway seeds or anise seeds. Not only will these seeds help treat your problem, they will freshen your breath.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and 1 tablespoon of honey in a glass of hot water and drink.
- Eat some fresh papaya or drink papaya juice. Papaya contains a powerful digestive enzyme called papain which can help combat indigestion.
- Drink some carrot juice and chew on some fennel seeds.
- Another helpful remedy for sour stomach is massage. Mix 10 drops of peppermint essential oil with 1 ounce of carrier oil (sweet almond oil, grapeseed oil, coconut oil, apricot oil or jojoba oil). Place 1/2 to 1 teaspoonful of the mixture onto your stomach and massage in a clockwise direction. Do this two to three times a day.
- slide 3 of 4
Yoga Health Benefits: Cure For Sour Stomach - Natural Remedies To Ease Acid Indigestion - http://www.yogawiz.com/blog/home-remedies/cure-for-sour-stomach-acid-indigestion.html
Joan Wilen and Lydia Wilen, Bottom Line's Healing Remedies (2006)
Uncommon Cures for Everyday Ailments (from the editors of Bottom Line/Health) 2006
Photo courtesy of http://www.flickr.com/photos/seenivas2009/4571000706/
- slide 4 of 4
Please read this disclaimer regarding the information contained within this article.