Lotus Essential Oil: Benefits and Uses

Page content

As you may already know, lotus is one among the rare flowers that blooms in the morning and folds up its petals in the evening. It is a sacred flower to the Hindus and Buddhists.

For the Hindus, the lotus represents not only beauty but non-attachment. Although the roots of the lotus are embedded in mud, the flower itself floats on water without getting wet or muddy and this represents non-attachment. It’s also a flower associated with many deities particularly Lord Brahma and Lord Krishna (The Lotus-Eyed One).

Medicinal Value

In the medical arena, the lotus has been used by the Chinese to treat a host of ailments from diarrhea to bleeding ulcers and mushroom poisoning. The Romans used lotus essential oil to treat asthma and ailments related to the upper respiratory tract. In India it was traditionally used to treat fever, cholera and fungal infections, among other ailments.

Types of Lotus Essential Oil

Essential oil is extracted from the lotus through a process called solvent extraction. The oil is highly-concentrated and potent. The special extraction process makes lotus essential oil costly compared to other essential oils. If cost is a concern, you could opt for the blended variety. This type of essential oil has only 10 percent lotus essential oil and the rest of the 90 percent is made up oils of jojoba, sweet almond and apricot kernel.

Pure lotus essential oil is best used for aromatherapy due its potency. It should not be used directly on the skin or ingested. However, the blended variety can be used on the skin.

Storage

If you’ve spent quite a bit on the purchase of lotus essential oil, you should make sure it’s stored in a dark glass bottle and kept away from direct heat or sunlight. If it’s thus stored you could reap its benefits for two to three years.

Lotus Essential Oil Uses

In aromatherapy lotus essential oil is used to heal the mind and spirit. It gives rise tranquility of mind and spirit and is suitable for use in meditation. Depending on the quality of the oil, a drop or two is sufficient for a single session of aromatherapy.

Lotus essential oil can be added to a bath or diffused in the air to bring about an atmosphere of peace and tranquility. Ideally, this should be done by blending it with other essential oils to tone down its intensity.

Scented Water Mist

You could make scented water mist by filling an empty plant spray container with water and adding two drops of lotus oil, a drop of neroli and tuberose or a fragrant oil of your choice. Spraying the mixture regularly around your house will create a pleasant atmosphere, your room, but be careful not to let it come into contact with electrical appliances.

Aromatherapy Bath

To prepare an aromatic bath, you would want to add 4 to 5 drops of lotus essential oil, 5 drops of neroli, 2 drops of frankincense and about 50ml of Camellia oil. Otherwise you can add easily-available carrier oils like olive oil, jojoba oil and sweet almond oil for an invigorating bath which would induce a good night’s sleep.

Side Effects

There are no known harmful side effects accompanying the use of lotus essential oil, but due to its potent nature, it should be avoided in pregnancy and should not be used undiluted on the skin.

References

https://www.thehealthcarecenter.com/lotus_essential_oil.html - general information on lotus essential oil

https://www.holisticaroma.co.uk/shp/TheSacredLotus.htm - uses of lotus essential oil

Disclaimer

Please read this disclaimer regarding the information contained within this article.