Fever is the body fighting off unwanted organisms. Matthew J. Kluger, PhD, Vice President for Research at George Mason University (one of the leading researchers of fever therapy), recommends letting a low-grade fever run its course and believes it may even shorten the duration of an illness.
A very high fever, above 104° Fahrenheit (40° Celsius), can produce harmful effects such as delirium or convulsions and requires immediate treatment.
Whether you have a low or high fever, dehydration can be a problem so it is important to drink plenty of fluids (avoid drinks that contain alcohol and caffeine because they can cause further dehydration). Besides fluids, the best home remedies for fever are rest and enhancing the immune system. Echinacea and vitamin C are two effective treatments in boosting the immune system.
10 Home Remedies for Fever
• Add 1/2 cup of vinegar to lukewarm bath water and soak for 5-10 minutes.
• Pour 1 cup of boiling water over 1 teaspoon of tulsi leaves, steep for 5 minutes, and drink 3-4 times a day. Your fever should be gone by the next day.
• Boil artichokes and cook until soft. Eat the bottom part of the leaves.
• Soak two washcloths in egg whites, put on the soles of your feet, and cover with socks.
• Place a slice of raw onion on the bottom of each foot and wrap your feet in a warm blanket.
• Slice a potato, soak the slices in vinegar for 10 minutes, and (while lying down) place the slices on your forehead with a washcloth on top. This should lower your fever in 20-30 minutes.
• Pour 1 cup of boiling water over 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds, steep for 5 minutes, and drink.
• Dip a washcloth in a bowl of 1/2 water and 1/2 vinegar, wring it out, and apply to your forehead.
• Warm a mixture of 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 large crushed garlic cloves. Apply the mixture under the sole of each foot, wrap each foot with plastic, and keep on for the night. Olive oil and garlic are both wonderful home remedies for fever.
• Soak 25 raisins in 1/2 cup of water. Crush the raisins in the water and strain. Add 1/2 teaspoon of lime juice to the water and drink 2 times a day.
Consult with a doctor if a young child is running a high fever.
Image courtesy of the National Library of Medicine (NLM).
Please read this disclaimer regarding the information contained within this article.