Health Benefits of Green Smoothies
Have you heard the hype? Everyone seems to be trying the new green smoothie. Developed by raw food pioneer, chef, author and educator Victoria Boutenko, the green smoothie is promising to be a nutritional powerhouse. I have been following the story of a man named Clent. He weighed 400 lbs. one year ago. He was given 2 to 4 years to live because he had diabetes. He decided to go on green smoothies because they are a healthy, easy way to gain a lot of health and lose a lot of weight. Today Clent weighs 180lbs. He is no longer taking any medication for diabetes and he is healthier than ever. Find out more about losing weight the way Clent did at www.thegreensmoothiechallenge.com. Get encouragement, tips, coaching, recipes and more!
So why are the green smoothies so healthy? It all starts with the inadequate nutrition that is an epidemic today. The American Cancer Society recommends eating "5 or more servings of a variety of vegetables and fruits each day". How many people do you know that are taking in this kind of nutrition? Nutritional deficiencies are responsible for so many of the diseases that people are experiencing today. Greens are among the most important foods for us to eat. There are many studies that show their cancer fighting qualities. Adding greens to the diet can restore health very quickly. When we give our bodies the nutrition they need, amazing things begin to happen. Green smoothies give us a concentrated amount of fresh greens in a way that would be difficult to achieve through other means. On top of the addition of so many important nutrients, green smoothies also help unhealthy cravings to disappear because when our bodies are receiving adequate nutrition, they no longer tell us they are hungry from lack of nutrients in our food.
Another reason green smoothies are such a great option is that if you are using a high power blender to make them, the fruits and veggies will be broken down to a size that is easily assimilable by the body. For recipes, read Victoria Boutenko's book Green for Life or Google "green smoothie recipes". The basic idea is to start with 40% dark greens like kale, arugula, spinach, etc… and then mix in 60% fruit of your choice. Then work up to 60% green and 40% fruit.
The health benefits of green smoothies are:
1. According to Vitoria Boutenko in her book, 12 Steps to Raw Foods, "when blended well, most of the cell walls in the greens and fruits are ruptured, making the valuable nutrients easy for the body to assimilate. Green smoothies literally start to get absorbed in your mouth."
2. They are full of fiber which is very important for good colon ecology and elimination of waste.
3. They are chlorophyll rich. Chlorophyll is the blood of the plant and it is the molecule that most closely resembles human blood. It purifies our blood. It fights bad breath and bad body odor. It is an immune enhancer. It can help to correct anemia. It will rejuvenate your body.
4. They give you much more than the minimal requirements of fruits and veggies recommended by the American Cancer Society.
5. They are high in antioxidants and phytochemicals.
6. They will help to bring down the acidity in your pH and make you more alkaline. Cancer does not grow in an alkaline body. In fact, most disease grows in an acid environment.
Please read this disclaimer regarding the information contained within this article.