- slide 1 of 3
This article will help you learn the fastest ways get into shape through exercise. To lose weight it’s important to understand just how the body burns fat through exercise. If quick weight loss is your goal then high impact aerobic and anaerobic (strength training) are excellent methods. The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) defines aerobic exercise as "any activity that uses large muscle groups, can be maintained continuously, and is rhythmic in nature." Anaerobic exercise uses muscles at high intensity and high rates for short periods of time. Below are a few examples.
Interval training utilizes the body's two energy-producing systems: Aerobic and anaerobic. Interval training is exercising at a high intensity for a time, followed by low intensity exercises to recover, and then the process is repeated. With interval training you burn more calories than regular aerobic exercise.
Interval Running Exercise
First, set the setting on a treadmill at about 6mph; this exercise is to be done for about 30 minutes and it is as follows:
- 0 to 3min- jog(warm up)
- to 6- fast paced run 65-75% max speed
- 6 to 7.5- interval recovery
- 7.5 to 10.5- fast paced run 65-75% max speed
- 10.5 to 12- interval recovery
- 12 to 15- fast paced run 65-75% max speed
- 15 to 15.5- interval recovery
- 15.5 to 18.5- fast paced run 65-75% max speed
- 18.5 to 20- interval recovery
- 20 to 22- fast paced run 70-80% max speed
- 22 to 23- interval recovery
- 23 to 25- fast paced run 70-80% max speed
- 25 to 26- interval recovery
- 26 to 28-fast paced run 70-80% max speed
- 28 to 32- cool down
For optimal results perform the above exercise 3-5 times a week. On the fast paced part slow down the settings a bit if the speed is too overwhelming for you at first. In time you will build endurance and work your way up to it.
Ski steps This exercise gives a good aerobic workout. Its pace is also in intervals which help to burn a lot of calories. To perform this workout:
- Start by moving one foot first then the other in quick motions as that of a regular skier (20-30 seconds).
- March in place for 10 seconds for the interval rest.
- Repeat the first step followed the second for 30 minutes.
This exercise can be done for 3-5 times a week for great results. This exercise is so simple do it twice a day, but once should be sufficient.
- slide 2 of 3
Squats:Squats work the quadriceps, hamstrings, gluteals, at the same time which is great for toning the body burning calories. . For this exercise to be effective, form is of the utmost importance. To perform regular squats:
- Stand with your back straight feet apart.
- While bending your knees lower your rear as though you are about to sit in a chair.
- Make sure your knees are in the position not to go over the ankle.
While the regular squat may burn a lot of calories, you may want to kick your performance up and perform a newer version of the old squat in order to burn even more calories.
Squat Press using a Dumbbell:
- Take a dumbbell (2-5 lbs) and perform a regular squat.
- At the top of the squat, press the dumbbells above your head.
- Bring it back down and repeat.
This exercise is a very good fat burning exercise because it works every large muscle in the body. Perform this exercise 3-5 times a week for fast results. Remember when using weights or any equipment, safety first.
Equipment Purchase Reminders
There are machines and products on the market now that offer promises of getting you in shape fast when incorporated in your workout regimen. Although their claims of quick weight loss are accurate, it’s important to do thorough research on any product before you make a purchase.
Getting into shape rapidly can be achieved through exercise but it’s also important that the exercise is performed in a safe way to ensure sustainability and good health. A workout (high impact) that lasts for 30-35 minutes should yield great results, fast. Seek a doctor’s counsel before starting any weight loss program.
- slide 3 of 3