Treating Diarrhea Naturally
It is best to avoid medications if possible, especially during pregnancy.
Drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration (dehydration is a common cause of premature labor). Drink water and electrolyte replacement beverages. Avoid juices, soft drinks, and other high-sugar drinks. Caffeine should also be avoided.
Eat only bland foods, such as:
- brown rice
- applesauce (not apple juice)
- toast (whole grain bread)
- plain yogurt with active cultures.
These foods will add bulk to the stool and replace "good" bacteria in the intestines so you should continue eating them for a few days after your diarrhea clears up.
The following herbal teas can help relieve diarrhea during pregnancy:
• Prepare a cup of ginger tea by pouring 1 cup of boiling water over 1 tablespoon of grated ginger root, cover, steep for 5-10 minutes, and strain.
• Prepare a cup of chamomile tea by pouring 1 cup of boiling water over 1 tablespoon of fresh chamomile flowers (or 1 teaspoon of dried flowers), cover, steep for 10 minutes, and strain.
To help treat your diarrhea even more, squeeze some fresh lemon juice in your cup of tea.
Notify your health care provider if:
- the diarrhea does not clear up in a couple of days
- it is severe
- you become dehydrated
- your diarrhea is accompanied with vomiting, fever, or pain
- your stools are bloody or mucousy.