- slide 1 of 4
Healthy Shake and Smoothie Recipes
Making shakes and smoothies are great ways to include more fruits and vegetables in your child's diet. The following healthy recipes are abundant in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants:
- slide 2 of 4
- Combine 1/2 cup of low-fat peach yogurt, 1 cup of frozen raspberries (unsweetened), and 3/4 cup of pure orange juice in a blender. Blend well and serve immediately. Makes 1 serving.
Peanut Butter/Banana Shake
- Blend 1 cup of low-fat milk, 1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter, 1/2 cup of frozen banana slices, 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla until smooth and creamy. If desired, sprinkle some sweet cocoa powder on top after pouring. This healthy recipe makes 1 serving.
- Blend 1/2 cup of vanilla frozen yogurt, 6 strawberries, 1 kiwi, 1 banana, and 3/4 cup of pure pineapple/orange juice. Makes 2 servings.
- In a blender, add 1 6-ounce container of vanilla yogurt, 1 1/2 cups of fresh spinach leaves, 1/2 apple, 1 banana, and 1 cup of grapes. Blend until smooth. Makes 2 servings.
- Combine 3/4 cup of non-fat plain yogurt, 1 small mango, 1/3 cup of pure orange juice, and 2 ice cubes in a blender. Blend well and serve this delicious and healthy drink immediately. Makes 1 serving.
- Place 1/2 cup of low-fat vanilla yogurt, 1 frozen banana, 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts, and 1-2 tablespoons of honey in a blender and mix well. This simple recipe makes 2 servings.
- Blend 6 ounces of plain frozen yogurt, 2 cups of carrot juice, 1/2 cup of apple juice, and 1 banana. Makes 2 servings.
- Blend 1/2 cup of low-fat yogurt, 2 tablespoons of nonfat dry milk, 1/4 cantaloupe, 1 frozen banana, 1 1/2 tablespoons of concentrated frozen orange juice, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla, and 2 teaspoons of honey until smooth. Makes 1 serving.
- Blend 1 cup of low-fat milk, 1/2 cup of pure coconut milk, 1 1/2 cups of chopped pineapple, and 10 ice cubes. Makes 2 servings.
- Blend 1/2 cup of vanilla yogurt, 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree, 3/4 cup of frozen pineapple chunks, 1 1/2 cups of pure orange juice, 1 graham cracker, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice. Pour into a glass and sprinkle some cinnamon on top. Makes 2 servings.
- Add 1/2 cup of low-fat vanilla yogurt, 2 cups of fresh kale (firmly packed), 1 cup of frozen unsweetened pineapple chunks, and 1 1/2 cups of pure pineapple juice in a blender and blend well until smooth. Makes 2 servings.
The above healthy shake and smoothie recipes are not for kids only. It is also a great way for adults to meet their daily requirements of fruits and vegetables.
- slide 3 of 4
Photo by Sunshine Hanan/Flickr
- slide 4 of 4
Please read this disclaimer regarding the information contained within this article.