Generalized anxiety disorder relaxation techniques
1. Squeezing an ice cube in your hand - the discomfort can distract and redirect your thoughts from the anxiety. You may also wrap the ice cube in a paper towel or cloth to avoid dripping water all over the place.
2. Sucking on a lemon wedge or something sweet, again this provides a distraction.
3. Music is another great way to help relieve or reduce the effects of anxiety. Carrying an mp3 player is a good idea. Load some music that you find relaxing - drowning out noise from around you can be a great to relieve anxiety.
4. Breathing techniques will help slow the heart and can reduce anxiety effects. Try taking ten deep breaths and slowly exhaling. Do more as needed.
5. Try to cut down or avoid stimulants such as caffeine and nicotine. Stimulants can increase anxiety levels in general.
6. Exercising, meditation or going for a walk can help as well as this focuses on something other than your anxiety.
7. Get a hobby. Find something you love to do or always wanted to and take some time out of your day when feeling anxious. A hobby is an excellent generalized anxiety disorder relaxation technique.
9. Therapy for generalized anxiety disorder is found to be one of the best relaxation techniques for GAD sufferers. Talking with a trusted therapist can reduce anxiety as well as possibly getting to the cause of your disorder.