How Is An Allergy To Amoxicillin Diagnosed And What Can Be Done To Treat And Prevent An Amoxicillin Allergic Reaction? (Continued)
If you prove to be positive for allergy to amoxicillin, your doctor will select an alternative antibiotic, and likely one that does not belong to the penicillin family, for treating your bacterial infection.
If you learn that you are in fact allergic to amoxicillin, you should wear an emergency bracelet that indicates your allergy. This is true because drugs in the penicillin group are sometimes given in emergency situations to accident victims who are unconscious or otherwise unable to express to medical personnel that they are allergic to amoxicillin. While there is no good time to have an allergic reaction, such a reaction is especially problematic when medical personnel are treating an individual for other serious injuries as the allergic reaction only further threatens the patient's overall condition.
If you are allergic to amoxicillin and a your bacterial infection is not responding to any other antibiotic, your doctor may choose to try to desensitize you to amoxicillin in hopes that your immune system can be "taught" to resist fighting this drug. In a typical desensitization process, a doctor will first introduce amoxicillin in a very small amount to a person trying to overcome allergy to it. If that small amount does not cause an allergic response, the doctor will give a second, slightly larger dose to see whether the person can tolerate the second dose. This process will be repeated, and perhaps several times over the course of many days, until either an allergic response is experienced or a therapeutically effective amount of the drug (that is, enough of it to ward off the bacterial infection) is tolerated by the patient.
This article is only meant to provide some basic information regarding amoxicillin allergies. If you believe that you may be experiencing an allergic reaction to amoxicillin or you are interested in learning more about this problem, please do not hesitate to contact your family doctor.