Feingold Diet Food List
Foods to Avoid
Eliminate foods containing:
• Artificial colors - Check labels for words like "color added", "U.S. certified color", "food coloring" and "FD&C yellow No. 5".
• Artificial flavors - Check labels for words like "artificial flavoring" and "flavoring".
• Antioxidant preservatives - These include butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA), butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) and tertiary butylhydroquinone (TBHQ).
• Aspartame (Nutrasweet) - This is a synthetic sweetener.
• Salicylates (a major ingredient in aspirin) - Foods containing salicylates that should be eliminated with this diet include all berries, almonds, apples, apricots, bell peppers, cherries, chili peppers, cucumbers (including pickles), currants, grapes, nectarines, oranges, peaches, plums, prunes, tangerines and tomatoes. Coffee and tea should also be avoided. This is not a complete list.
Other food additives - If eliminating the above foods does not show improvement, Dr. Feingold recommends avoiding corn syrup and foods containing monosodium glutamate (MSG), hydrolyzed vegetable protein, nitrites or nitrates, sulfiting agents and benzoates.
Other popular allergenic foods - If there is still no improvement, you may want to avoid milk and other dairy products, eggs, wheat, corn products, chocolate and soybeans/tofu.
Foods allowed on the diet include bananas, beans, beets, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cantaloupe, carrots, cauliflower, celery, dates, fresh meat and poultry, grapefruit, honeydews, kale, kiwis, lemons, lentils, lettuce, mangoes, mushrooms, oats, onions, papayas, pears, peas, pineapple, potatoes, rice, spinach, squash, sweet corn, sweet potatoes, watermelon and zucchini. This is not a complete list.