• Place a freshly sliced cucumber on your eyelids for 15 minutes to soothe and heal irritated eyes.
• Pour 1 cup of hot water over 1 teaspoon of dried horsetail herb, cover, steep for 10 minutes and strain. Dunk two cotton pads in the liquid, place the pads over your eyelids, keep them on for 10 minutes, redunk the pads and place over your eyelids for another 10 minutes. Repeat in 30 minutes if needed.
• Crush 1 tablespoon of fennel seeds. Pour 2 cups of boiling water over the crushed seeds, cover, steep for 15 minutes and strain. Saturate two cotton pads and place them over your eyelids for 15 minutes.
• Using an eyewash is another natural way to get allergy relief from irritated eyes. Prepare one of the following:
Pour 2 cups of boiling water over 1 ounce of whole dried eyebright herb, cover, steep for 20 minutes and strain.
- Add 3 drops of eyebright tincture to 1 tablespoon of boiled water.
- Pour 1 cup of boiling water over 1 teaspoon of dried chamomile flowers, cover, steep for 5 minutes and strain.
- Add 12 drops of chamomile tincture to 1 cup of boiled water.
To use, fill an eyewash cup (available at drugstores) half full with one of the above cooled mixtures. Lean forward, place the cup tightly around your eye, tilt your head backward, open your eye, rotate your eyeball to thoroughly wash the eye, lean forward and remove the cup.